Monday, December 8, 2014

eXtreme Kitbash - Plague Bruddahs, Meth Witches


I have a distinct aversion to buying GW daemon miniatures.  Each of them displays a set of terrible design choices and have some of the highest $/point ratios.  A box of plague bearers costs ~$30, and fields at ninety points.  $0.33/point is pretty expensive, especially for some of the models that will only see action in the off fluff game or occasional summoning.  What's a cheap boy to do?


 
I started with a set of Plague Zombies from DeadZone.  I was lucky enough to have a kickstarter obsessed friend who purchased the full line, and then received an additional four sets of these pustulent folks.  I actually ended up with twenty full models, two models with heads and arms, and six disposed torsos, for the homie price of $20.  Excellent.  My additional investment was green stuff; I think I used about $1 worth.  $0.11/point is much more my style.



My bit box has been getting a little low as my desire to buy new models has waned, so I didn't have the ability to go overboard on bits.  Looking through the dregs, I didn't even have enough to give matching accessories to ten of them (these will primarily be summoned squads of ten).  So this project is all green stuff.

As you can see on the bodies, these figures also have weird rounded arm sockets that don't really fit any GW bits.  I could have shaved them down, but no big, these are their own deal, I just attached the deadzone arms which fit the theme anyway.  Afterwards, I realized I should have split the arms because some have shoulder pads and fit better on the mens, and some don't and fit better on the ladies.


So the theme is Rastafarians for the men, because there is nothing in the present universe more disgusting than dreadlocks and hippies.  This also opens up endless comedy on the board about "gettin' blazed fah millennium on da Space Hulk 'Da Island'" and "big ups!" everytime they succeed at anything.  Everybody has a joint, the bits hilariously came with little tool arms that are roach clips for their giant doobers.  I have three that will be carrying giant bongs, with blue marbles glued on after painting is done.  I made the stems out of straws; there were great arms that were double-grasping guns like clubs that made this very easy.  Everyone has one of those ridiculous dread-helmets (dread helmets being the longest running WH joke we have, predating our current club) where the dreadlocks are encased in wool.  These will of course be painted in red, yellow, green.

 

The theme for the women is dreadlocked meth whores; these are the unfortunate girlfriends of the Plague Bruddahs.  You date who you're stuck with.  You think five years on meth is bad?  How about five millennia?  These had great bald heads to attach the dreadlocks to.  I just rolled out really long strings of green stuff and attached it, pulling it down with an exacto blade.  I think they'll all be blond, you know the stereotype...

I'm excited about these figures, as always I started with some figures and a loose idea, and let it flow with what was available, how the materials felt, and what I could steal from my mates.  Overall time debt so far is ~4 hours including spruing, shaving, pre-assembly.  This is also my first try with the popsicle-stick painting trick. 

No comments:

Post a Comment